[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Oct 5 04:15:37 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> Before there's much more naming discussion, I should make clear that
>>> there are two target audiences:
>>>
>>> * site managers. They may want to install or deinstall an
>>> application, restart Zope, and such things.
>>
>> I suspect the majority of sites will run a single grok app per instance.
>> For those 'install an application' should not be an explicit action, it
>> should happen automatically by taking over the Zope root. In other words
>> for most deployments I do not expect that a separate UI will be needed
>> here.
>
> Well said. Absolutely agreed.

I have the impression some of this feedback arose because Grok actually
allows something that's quite powerful but that people may not be used
to from experience with other frameworks; the ability to install
multiple applications into the same server.

If you turn the Zope 3 root into a grok application, there are some
questions, like:

How do you remove the application again and reinstall it? This is what I
do quite a frequently during development.

Where is the user interface to go to the introspector?

Where is the user interface to see my server settings, perhaps can
reboot it, etc?

How this is actually going to make everyone's life better? So far I've
heard "people are confused", but it's not clear to me that this change
would make people less confused or if so, it would actually improve
their lives?