[Grok-dev] Re: Template pluggability and megrok.genshi finished.

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Oct 6 18:44:04 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
>> I think we should end up with two versions of the Genshi integration:
>
> Why? Isn't Grok about making sensible choices so people don't have to?

Good question!

The answer is that we don't know enough yet to make a sensible choice
for Grok. We need more experience.

Currently we have an *extension* to Grok that enables Genshi in
"tolerant mode". We also have done work to enable template language
plugins (such as Genshi) in "push mode" for Grok.

If Grok ever adapts Genshi as the default, then you're entirely right:
we need to make this choice. We should still allow people to do
something else should they want to for their own projects, though.

Grok is about making sensible choices so people don't have to, unless
they actually *want* to make their own choices. It's sensible defaults,
but "default" implies it can be changed. We shouldn't block other
choices. So, extensions to Grok should ideally be able to make whatever
choices they want.

I think in some cases it is wise to make one choice, but clearly point
out the other options in case people's use cases. It might be Genshi is
such a case. We'll find out.