[Grok-dev] Re: Template pluggability and megrok.genshi finished.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 06:04:26 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> By the way, it's interesting to observe that Genshi is developed (at
> least in part) by people at Edgewall, who also develop Trac. To develop
> Trac, Clearsilver was used, which is a very restrictive (and very fast)
> template language that is very "push". Genshi, I understood, is in part
> a response to the limitations of Clearsilver.

Well, in ClearSilver you have attribute access so you don't have to
push anything more than the objects that you want to render and a
request object. If you see that as "limiting", welll. then I guess you
would like Genshi, who clearly has no limitations at all. I wouldn't
specifically mind using Genshi if I knew I was the only one to edit
the templates. But in a situation where I have to work on others
template code, I'd much rather use something that doesn't let you run
full unrestricted python in the templates, thanks. :-)

I think we should to ClearSilver integration as well, and also
Templess integration, mostly to get a good base for the templating
integration, so we know it works. :-)
http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64