[Grok-dev] Re: IErrorReportingUtility component lookup error

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Oct 12 11:41:49 EDT 2007

Uli Fouquet wrote:
[snip]
> I can reproduce the error when using any sort of grok.Traverser (so does
> the admin-UI).
>
> Something I do not understand: in module `zopepublication.py` (part of
> `zope.app.publication`, release 3.4.2) there is a statement::
>
> 	from zope.error.interfaces import IErrorReportingUtility
>
> i.e.: the Utility from `zope.error` is imported. The egg as a whole,
> however, requires `zope.app.error` (according to `requires.txt`).
>
> To summarize: `zope.app.publication` (3.4.2) requires `zope.app.error`
> but uses `zope.error` (without `app`). Is this a usual behaviour?
> Furthermore you can only register exactly one of zope.error _or_
> zope.app.error with ZCML.

I'm not sure I understand entirely. but I know that
zope.app.error/zope.error has been the source of errors before, as
someone decided to refactor zope.app.error into zope.error and *then*
make a final zope.app.error 2.4 release (and zope.error 2.4 release).

Perhaps we can make it work by upgrading to a newer version of
zope.app.publication? Oh, but you say you downgrade it to make things
work? This whole situation is rather frustrating...

Anyway, someone needs to dig into the history of all this and report
back which versions of which packages we should be using that makes this
problem go away. Downgrading zope.app.publication to an earlier version
seems to be the wrong way to go about it. What about comparing with the
versions.cfg of the Grok trunk? Does the problem happen there?