[Grok-dev] Re: Ignas's work on grokproject

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 12 14:48:18 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Ignas has been irritated that installing grok requires either a
> workingenv or root access to set up grokproject.

I shall note that he's then going to be irritated by pretty much every
other Python web framework (Django, TG, Pylons, ...) because they all
use easy_install. Or maybe he wouldn't be because they might be
mentioning workingenv or vpython in their docs as means to avoid root
access.

I'm inclined to say that this is first and foremost a documentation
problem. I chatted with Ignas about this last night on IRC [1] and
already gave him the advice to add a footnote or section to the tutorial.

[1]
http://jw.n--tree.net/irclogs/%23grok/%23grok.2007-09-11.log.html#t2007-09-11T22:06:44

> In my blog he posted the following suggestion:
>
> """
> Hmm,
> http://ignas.pov.lt/grokproject-buildout.tar.gz and
> http://ignas.pov.lt/grokproject-easyinstall.tar.gz
>
> two takes on the problem. Both will work even on ubuntu with a broken
> version of setuptools and a conflicting version of pytz installed.
> Neither requires root. Downside - buildouts created with grokproject
> will share the same virtual python installation though, but i didn't
> have time to work around that yet. On the upside - buildouts will be
> more or less isolated from system python, so they will work even if the
> person installing grok has Zope3 installed in his system.
>
> To try out - download, extract, make and run bin/grokproject to create a
> project
> """
>
> I haven't looked into this myself yet, but it sounds like a promising
> initiative. Could you look into this, Philipp?

If Ignas would like to, I'm inviting him to check his modifications into
a grokproject branch. This would make it much easier for me to review.