[Grok-dev] First Experience with Grok

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Fri Sep 14 18:02:57 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Shane Hathaway <shane.list.grok-dev at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> I've just started trying out Grok.  It looks very good so far!

Hey, Shane! How wonderful to hear from you! Better still to learn that
you're interested in Grok!

> [...] I fixed the problem by removing my site-packages path
> from the generated runzope.  I suspect site-packages should never be
> preferred over anything from the buildout-eggs directory.

Makes perfect sense to me, but let's wait for the opinion of someone
who actually knows how grok setup should work (I'm just happy to know
that most often it does!).

> A more general impression: while Grok has clear goals and a clear
> audience, I feel like Zope 3 has always had an identity crisis.  But
> Grok puts Zope 3 in its place.  Grok establishes that Grok is a
> framework while Zope 3 is an integrated set of libraries.  Grok adds to
> Zope 3 the kind of stuff required to compete with popular frameworks
> like Rails or Django.  That's the way things seem to be headed, anyway.

I totally agree. The way I see it, today there is a carrot and a stick
attracting new developers to Zope 3. Grok is the carrot, and Plone 3
is the stick.

Cheers,

Luciano