[Grok-dev] Re: maintaining the Grok website

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Sat Sep 15 18:22:19 EDT 2007

+1 for using Plone 3.

If Grok continues improving at it's current rapid pace, it's hopeful
- and i think possible :) - that within a few years we could have a
content base that compares with the size of current plone.org site
(7400+ content items). With that much content and the level of
traffic to that content, any other solution than using a polished,
popular CMS is going to have it's very painful moments.

We also have the opportunity to out do some our competition, who are
dealing with the same problem of wanting to first build a CMS using
their framework, then use that CMS to manage their web site. I find
Pylons attitude of, "We like the Confluence wiki, and we're okay with
using that for our site even if it's not written in Pylons, or even
Python" much more appealing than the prevailing trend in say the Ruby
on Rails community where there is a very strong push to use only Ruby
on Rails solutions for application needs. Using non-Grok solutions is
good in that it has the positive message of saying, "We are not so
insular and infatuated with our framework that we don't think our
other open source web developers aren't building interesting and cool
things too."

I do think that there is a place for building a CMSes in Grok though
- especially as a lighter weight CMS alternative to Plone but still
making use of all the lovely Zope 3 technologies available. But for
me when I play with Grok, I am really much more interested in
building non-CMS apps.

Using Plone and Grok apps are also not mutually exclusive. We can
also use Plone to manage much of the content (About, Docs, etc.) on
the site, but still host portions of the site using showcase Grok apps.