[Grok-dev] Re: First Experience with Grok

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Sep 16 10:45:07 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Kevin Smith wrote:
>>> A maintainable way to "remove" Rotterdam is with skins and layers
>>> (coming soon).  The
>>> IDefaultBrowserLayer could also be replaced with something like
>>> z3c.minimallayer to have
>>> it permanently removed.
>>
>> What I have in mind is that I'd like the zope.app.rotterdam egg to not
>> be installed at all.
>
> I agree it shouldn't be installed at all, but our second best option is
> at least to hide it away. Our final goal should be to get rid of it in
> the installation entirely, but we should choose to at least hide it if
> we can't accomplish this easily right now.

Right. I'd say the fact that it's installed or not is only of secondary
interest. The question is whether it's used or not.

Completely shedding the zope.app.rotterdam egg would mean not using
zope.app.zcmlfiles, which provides the core configuration of
"Zope3-the-app-server" and has been useful up until now. We may just
decide to give that up in favour of our own registrations (even though
it would mean duplicating a lot just to get rid of a few).