[Grok-dev] Re: letting Grok take over the site

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon Sep 17 09:38:57 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> writes:

> I think grok.Application should be thing that lets you take over the
> root.  grok.Site is something any object can implement anywhere in
> the hierarchy to make local component registrations.  (You can nest
> sites).

That is the reverse of the terminology I had expected (which is
probably why my email seemed so confusing)!

I could live with having the Application be the "whole thing", and the
Site live inside of an application.  But I have a few reservations:

 - Common Web parlance refers to a "Site" as everything served up by a
   given web server.  All the normal people I know use "site" to refer
   to "everything at a given http://server:port/", and "application"
   to refer to "a bunch of hierarchical content run from the same set
   of source code".

 - Changing grok.Application so that it takes over the whole web site
   would break every single Grok application already written to date,
   since they're all already written expecting the Application to be
   the thing that can be instantiated and nested.

But, I care more about getting the feature approved than getting the
terminology perfect. :-)