[Grok-dev] Re: First Experience with Grok

Shane Hathaway shane.list.grok-dev at hathawaymix.org
Mon Sep 17 16:50:57 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>>> I'd like to point out one issue I stumbled on at first.  After running
>>> grokproject, the server would not start.  The exception I got was
>>> cryptic.  After studying it, I realized my system had an older version
>>> of zope.interface and Twisted installed in site-packages, and that the
>>> sys.path constructed by grokproject preferred the version in
>>> site-packages.  I fixed the problem by removing my site-packages path
>>> from the generated runzope.  I suspect site-packages should never be
>>> preferred over anything from the buildout-eggs directory.
>
> Indeed. My suspicion is that Shane's running Ubuntu or Debian. Because
> those and other distributions install certain packages as development
> eggs into lib/python2.x/site-packages. I wish they wouldn't do that. For
> the problem is that buildout (through setuptools) will find them as
> regular eggs and put their "location" (which is site-packages) on
> sys.path. That's why Shane is getting site-packages *before* other eggs
> on sys.path.

I'm running Gentoo, but Gentoo packages frequently follow Debian
conventions, so you could be right.  I'm running Python 2.5.  My
site-packages directory has 58 files and directories named *.egg-info.

I'm looking at the grokproject package now.  I see a class named
GrokProject, but I don't see anything that actually refers to that
class.  What magic is happening?

> I think zc.buildout should gain such a feature proper: simply ignore
> anything installed anywhere other than your own eggs directory.

+1

Shane