[Grok-dev] Re: How I Will Have Broken Grok

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Thu Sep 20 16:59:37 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> writes:

> This is my attempt at writing an 'executive summary' of your post. As
> far as I understand:
>
> * You changed something in zope.traversing.
> * Grok relies on this.

These two steps are all that have happened.  I have made *no* change
to Grok yet, pending clarity on how to resolve this.

In your email you brought up important issues that deserve discussion,
but in this response I want to highlight one, single, big issue that I
am not sure your discussion included.  Here, I'll indent it to make it
look extra-important:

   All existing Grok projects, including those being created at this
   moment with "grokproject" all over the world, fail to pin Zope egg
   version numbers.  Therefore, if we *ever* release "zope.traversing"
   as it exists in "trunk" today, then *all* old Grok projects will
   cease to function when their owners next run "./buildout".

Is this statement true?

If the above statement is true, then I must, necessarily, go back to
"zope.traversing" and make the "_getContextName()" method work again
before we release it.  Then, to prepare for its disappearance in the
future, I will have to go through the Zope procedure for deprecating a
feature: putting a message into the function that warns about the
deprecation, and then waiting a year before moving the code.

To help me escape having to put the kludge back in "zope.traversing",
one of two things can happen:

 - Someone can explain to me why the indented statement, above, is
   incorrect, by explaining how I misunderstand buildout.  Maybe the
   version pins would get copied into old projects when they are next
   built out in a way I don't see?

 - Someone can decide that Grok is still too early-versioned for
   people to expect old projects to keep working if you rerun
   buildout on them.

And I think those are the only options.  Let me know!