[Grok-dev] Neanderthal sprint topics

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Sep 28 14:32:56 EDT 2007

Hi there,

Am Freitag, den 28.09.2007, 17:06 +0200 schrieb Martijn Faassen:

> Here is a summery of the proposed sprint topics, with some added by
> myself as I think of them. I'd like all sprint attendees to think about
> picking 2 topics:

A good idea :-)

I really run into trouble, reducing the choice down to two topics. If I
had to make a preference list, I would first do the things, that really
could be done in short time:

(1) i18n-branch (half a day or less)
(2) grok.testing (one day)
(3) reference (long)
(4) build website (unknown time, depends on specific subtopics)

This is only a proposal. I am open to other assignments.

> The sprint topics
> -----------------
>
> * The Grok website. Let's get a Plone skin going with Sebastian's
>    skin in there. Then let's start organizing content. (large topic,
>    but could be split into multiple smaller ones)

I at least would like to help starting this really large topic.

> * Continue the work on making it easier to write (f)tests for
>    applications written *with* Grok. See also:

Could be my 'small' topic.

> * Reference documentation. Publishing this online would be good.

If everybody helps (cover one or two directives/classes) the reference
could be nearly completed by the end of sprint.

As some may have noticed, I already built a reference in ReST format,
which makes use of the special roles and directives that come with the
'sphinx' package. sphinx extends the standard docutils roles and
directives remarkably and is used to build the new Python 2.6 ReST
documentation.

The build process, however, is terrible: you need esoteric packages,
Python 2.5 and must apply patches. Beside this ugliness no PDF output is
supported. One advantage of this complicated build process: once set up,
it's easy to rebuild things and the output is really lovely.

Because of the complicated build with 'sphinx', in the last days I
started an effort to build a docutils.writer/.reader, which produces
latex-output from ReST ('rst2manual'), suitable for use with mkhowto.
This is a quite complicated task and far from being finished. But it's
much easier to build the reference with it (well, once finished).

To sum it up: if we do reference documentation at the sprint, I would
like at least to present the ReST reference and maybe we could also make
some progress with the build process. Anyway, some discussion about
formats etc. would be highly appreciated from my side.

> * KSS for Grok. Godefroid will be there for at least the first half of
>    the sprint I heard, so I hope we'll get some KSS integration work
>    done. Having this would make me really excited, as there's all sorts
>    of cool things we can do with KSS. Besides integration code, I hope
>    this can also result in some form of tutorial.

Yeah! Would _love_ to have it for the admin-UI and other tasks.
Unfortunately I know nearly nothing about KSS. So, this is not my topic.

> * Improving the Admin UI. The Admin UI is now there and looking good.
>    Now that we start using it, there are a ton of ideas on how to improve
>    it, let's get some of them done.

Oh, my very own topic ;-) I can at least bring another ton of ideas to
the sprint and will collect ideas from everybody. Duration depends much
on the ideas.

> Please add your sprint topics!

* Review and merge the i18n branch I did.

  This should be a half-a-day topic or less.

Kind regards,

--
Uli