[Grok-dev] Some questions about setup and apps

Kamon Ayeva kamon.ayeva at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:22:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Kevin Teague <kevin at bud.ca> wrote:

>  Kamon Ayeva-3 wrote:
>  >
>  > Questions: Can I serve several apps on the same Grok server ? I mean
>  > same machine and same port ?
>  >

>  Yes, you can package up your Grok apps as eggs, and create a deploymnent
>  buildout.cfg that looks just like the one created by grokproject except
>  you reference eggs from more than one application.
>
>  In the [buildout] section you can either check your apps out of version
>  control and reference more than one app on the develop line:
>
>   develop = src/appone src/apptwo
>
>  Or use setuptools to create the eggs, and store them on PyPI or locally on a
>  HTTP server. If they are local, you need something like Apace indexing
>  enabled and then tell buildout about your egg stash so it knows to look
>  there for your
>  eggs:
>
>   find-links = http://example.com/eggs/

Ok. Seems like the normal buildout/eggs way, and I am familar with it.

>  Having multiple servers means using a bit more RAM, and a bit more
>  configuration, but it's nice to be able to upgrade one app without worrying
>  about breaking the other app ...

Ok.

>  Of course, none of this is really document other than snippets about
>  buildout, eggs and grok on assorted web sites. Having a "How-To host
>  multiple Grok apps in a single Zope process" would be helpful.

I am trying to make that work and trying several things.
As you suggested, the most obvious path for me seems using App
packages as "develop eggs" so they can easily be handled by the
buildout.

Will propose the howto once I find the time to complete this.

Many thanks.
Kamon