[Grok-dev] On CMS's in Grok

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Apr 1 17:27:43 EDT 2008

Hi all,

In light of recent summer of code projects, and the three or four CMS
projects that have been mentioned off the back of that, I wanted to
write something to the list for comment. I realise this may sound a
little arrogant or presumtive, but it's not meant in that way at all. I
just want to foster some debate and see what people think.

To start with a controversial statement:

  Don't build a Grok CMS.

Or the corollary:

  Don't try to compete with Plone.

So ... arrogance and ignore aside, what do I mean by this?

Plone is a bit of behemoth. It does a lot. It is based on many years of
experience and thousands of man-hours of development. Getting a system
that does everything (or most things) Plone does, which is stable,
tested and has the right integration points is ... well, it's a huge
project. Building a community around that and building a brand around it
is even more daunting. We welcome the competition of course, I just
don't want anyone to underestimate this task.

The usual argument here is that Plone is overkill for many tasks. That's
true, and to a certain extent we'd be happy if we could point people at
a lightweight solution we'd trust when it's clear that people are trying
to use Plone for things it wasn't designed for. The problem with this,
though, is that "light weight" really just means "has the features I
want and no more, but also no less". No-one wants a lowest common
denominator CMS, since more fully-featured systems will then seem more
attractive. I often say that it's easier to turn something off in Plone
than to turn it on in Zope. If you listen to those demands, you'll end
up building the union of the features that everyone wants, which lands
you back at Plone.

The Plone people are also really excited about Grok and want to use
Grok-like concepts to build Plone systems. We also want to share
components and services more openly with other Zope and Python projects
- both to give components away (which is what the plone.* namespace is
about) and to integrate things not invented by Plone.

Now, Grok is obviously a good fit for CMS and content-centric
applications, largely due to the ZODB and publishing concepts inherited
from Zope. Grok is also clean, nimble and easy to work with. I'm pretty
sure that if I ever wanted to build a home-grown CMS or CMS-like system,
I'd start with Grok.

I think this is where Grok's niche may have the strongest potential.
Don't set about building another general purpose CMS. The open source
world has a million of them. Build the tools and services that people
who want to build their own CMS applications need - perhaps because they
are so overwhelmed by the number of options in the market and want to
control their own destiny rather than having to take a bet on an
existing platform.

By all means, drive those requirements with a sensible, minimalistic
example application. But don't focus your energies on the front-end
polish or a wide range of "tick box" features. Focus them on building
the on the decade or so of experience that this community has with
building real-world content-centric solutions. Build the things you wish
you'd had back then. Let grok be the caveman with the space age tools.

And then, we over in the Plone community can steal all your tools and
use them to make Plone better. And so can Vudo. And z3ext. And Silva.
And anyone else.

Cheers,
Martin