[Grok-dev] Re: On CMS's in Grok

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Apr 2 18:40:57 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I don't really think Martin and I are disagreeing so much in the
> details, but I'll still turn it around:
>
>    Do build CMSes with Grok.
>
> and also:
>
>    Compete with Plone if you want to.

I thought you might. :-)

> All this is entirely theoretical at this stage. But since one of the
> things I want to do with Grok is build CMS-like applications, I can
> hardly agree with Martin's assertion not to build CMSes with Grok. Let's
> by all means build a couple. Let us know how it goes, so we can see how
> Grok could be improved to support your efforts better.

I think I should've phrased this a bit more precisely: My suggestion was
"Don't turn the Grok project into a CMS project", but rather "let it be
a project that builds the best building blocks for building CMS solutions".

There are so many open source CMSs that I don't see a huge number of
niches left to fill. In part, this is due to the fact that many CMS
applications are designed for a very specific purpose, with a limited
audience (and probably also limited developer input, for this reason).
Those CMSs (and the millions of in-house ones around) would, I think,
benefit hugely from a toolbox that naturally fit with CMS needs and
which made their jobs much easier than, say, Django or PHP.

Martin