[Grok-dev] the installation problems saga, part 2

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 04:09:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>  We could also modify KGS, Zope 3's package indexing system, to suck in all
> packages. Then we'll run our own Grok KGS. Right now it doesn't but just
> mirrors PyPI, and thus has the same problems PyPI does. Drawback: we'd need
> to mirror *all* the packages on the PyPI. This might be quite a lot of
> storage space and bandwith, plus needs to be maintained.

Could we get buildout to look for packages according to PyPI style
ways of doing it in several places? Then we could have a backup server
running the required Grok-packages. Buildout would go to PyPI, find
the proper link, fail that, and then go on to the backup server.

The perfect solution would be if all packages are on PyPI, and PyPI is
mirrored with several download locations around the world. That
requires changes to all softwares involved, so it's not really
feasible...

>  Solving Problem 1 + Problem 2 do sound like eventually we'll need to move
> into the "distribution management" business, similar to a Linux distribution
> manages its packages.

Looks like, it, yes.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64