[Grok-dev] Re: the checking-your-project-back-out story

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon Apr 28 08:50:08 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> writes:

> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>
>> I really like just including "bootstrap.py" because then the
>> instructions are very simple for how to "get your project working
>> again" when you've checked it out.
>
> +1

Another option is possible beyond the ones I listed, by the way: we
could give the "grokproject" command the ability to operate upon an
existing Grok project, instead of only being able to create new ones.
That way they could:

  $ svn co .../myproject
  $ grokproject myproject
  Rebuild/repair existing Grok project 'myproject'? [yn] y
  $ cd myproject
  $ bin/zopectl fg

and be up and running.  This way we would not have to include the
extra clutter of a "bootstrap.py" file whose purpose beginning users
might be confused about.  We could also hide from them the fact that
two buildout-like steps (bootstrap then buildout) are involved.