[Grok-dev] Re: google app engine and grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Apr 30 02:33:21 EDT 2008

Kevin Smith wrote:
> Hi Noah,
>
> Yup, I'm going to both the Google I/O plus the Hack-A-Thon in San Francisco.
>
> There's a little talk in the Zope community about getting Zope3 GAE
> enabled, but a few obvious hurdles jump out.
>
> * no filesystem write access (no zodb)
> * no c-extensions (no persistence/no zodb/perhaps more)
> * 1,000 file limit
>
> Stripping down Zope3 to the metal *may* be doable, but I don't detect a
> strong will in the community to make it happen. It may be a lost
> opportunity that we just don't have the resources to capitalize on,
> because it could be a great thing for Grok. The Grok-way is so much
> easier than these other frameworks.

I think there's enough interest in the community to see something like
this happen sometime. I don't think it's going to happen fast. See this
web log entry for more information about my thinking of porting Zope
(and Grok) to different versions of Python:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2008/04/14/0