[Grok-dev] Re: pinning version of zc.buildout useless?

Vincent Fretin vincent.fretin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:03:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Maurits van Rees
<m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
> For me this *does* happen, both on my laptop with a global zc.buildout
> installed and on my desktop without a global zc.buildout install.

> maurits at hobb:~/buildout/foo $ cat bin/buildout
> #!/usr/bin/python2.4
>
> import sys
> sys.path[0:0] = [
>  '/home/maurits/buildout-eggs/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.4.egg',
>  '/home/maurits/buildout-eggs/zc.buildout-1.1.1-py2.4.egg',
>  ]
>
> import zc.buildout.buildout
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>    zc.buildout.buildout.main()
> maurits at hobb:~/buildout/foo $ bin/buildout -nv
> Installing 'zc.buildout', 'setuptools'.
> We have the distribution that satisfies 'zc.buildout==1.0.6'.
> We have the best distribution that satisfies 'setuptools'.
> Picked: setuptools = 0.6c8
> Upgraded:
>  zc.buildout version 1.0.6;
> restarting.
> Generated script '/home/maurits/buildout/foo/bin/buildout'.
> Installing 'zc.buildout', 'setuptools'.
>
> Notice the lines stating 'Upgraded' and 'restarting'.
>
> It could be that this only ever happens when you explicitly tell
> buildout to run in newest mode with "bin/buildout -n".  Indeed when
> you already have version x for a package and versions.cfg specifies
> version y then version x will keep being used unless you run with '-n'
> (or have newest = true in buildout.cfg).
You're absolutely right. zc.buildout is downgraded only in newest mode.
By default in a new grokproject you have newest=false in buildout.cfg,
so when you execute only "bin/buildout", zc.buildout is not
downgraded.

> But then I do not understand why you would get a download for both
> 1.1.1 and 1.0.6.
I don't know how all the zc.buildout machinery works, but it downloads
and installs both version in non-newest mode.
Actually, the bootstrap.py script download 1.1.1 and then zc.buildout
download the pinned version.
And only in newest mode it regenerates the bin/buildout script with
the pinned version.

--
Vincent Fretin