[Grok-dev] Re: megrok.yui released

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Aug 8 11:09:54 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Right, the positive about YUI, I didn't mention those very much:

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> YUI has the advantage of being extremely well documented.

This is a major major plus indeed. It's very very well documented.

It's namespaced and doesn't spread its methods across all sorts of
javascript by monkey-patching.

Unlike, say, mochikit, it has good facilities for all kinds of powerful
user interface widgets.

As I said before, the developers care about the load the javascript adds
to a typical web page. This takes the shape of minimizing, rolling up
multiple files of javascript when possible, and APIs that can deal with
large amounts of data.

It has a ton of features.

A small data point concerning the power and comprehensibility of its
APIs: when implementing drag & drop for KSS at the snow sprint the
people involved first were determined to use jquery, but found the API
less clear than they wished, and then moved to YUI. That's a while ago,
the status of things probably changed by now.

It has also a nice set of CSS facilities that allows people who don't
know about CSS to do sane 2 column layouts. :)

That said, there are so many javascript libraries out there. I think a
drawback of YUI is that it can get rather verbose. Now asynchronous code
tends to be, but Mochikit had an interesting more fundamental approach
towards resolving it, and I also hear good things about jquery's
succinctness.

And then there's KSS, which I still have to get into. :)