[Grok-dev] Introducing Grok / KSS : feedback after 1 week

Fernando Correa Neto fcdoth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:49:15 EDT 2008

Hello there,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Sebastien Douche <sdouche at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Learning visualization machinery is a rough time with z3c.form :
> view, skin, layer, pagelet, widget, manager...

Hell yeah, you need to read the book. When I say "read the book" I
mean it, check this out:

fcorrea at fcbook~/z3c.form/src/z3c/form: wc -l *.txt
     104 README.txt
     240 action.txt
     122 adding.txt
     611 button.txt
     644 converter.txt
     315 datamanager.txt
     190 error.txt
     808 field.txt
    1504 form.txt
     641 group.txt
     639 subform.txt
     143 term.txt
     263 util.txt
     349 validator.txt
     215 value.txt
     522 widget.txt
     116 zcml.txt
    7426 total

So, I am not going to say that its impossible to create a convenience
package for it but yeah, it requires people to have a very good
understanding about it.
We have scratched out a a very rough convenience package of what a
megrok.z3cform would look like but we got stuck on the naming thing
and namespace stuff and ended up doing nothing.
So, is there anyone working on "cave-hiding" style and will come up
with a complete package all of a sudden or can we just check in a
convenience package that will provide add, edit and display forms with
some skin setup for now?
I don't think we need to figure the skin/layer stuff right now....we
just need to have something so people can look at and improve it.

> - megrok.z3cform. I see 3 use cases :
> 1/ need to basic forms, with "defaults" behavior.
> Goals: 101 course for beginner, prototyping.
>
> 2/ basics views/forms with "complete stack".
> Goals: Grok installs all the necessary, and adds facilities for
> modification (skin, layer) or adding personal layout (forms,
> pagelet...)
>
> 3/ access to z3.forms power.
> Goals: deep customization

I can share my experiences with that if needed.

> The major improvement for us is megrok.z3cform. If the package is not
> available for November, we want paying a core developer to make the
> job. Same thing with kss.core for pure Zope3.

Well, I am NOT a core developer but I can contribute if needed. Even
with code, use cases/experience.

Best Regards,
Fernando