[Grok-dev] how to write doctest in unicode?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Aug 31 06:09:08 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 05:04 +0200, Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Hi Brandon,
>
> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> > I am attempting to write a doctest file by creating a .txt file and
> > putting ":Test-Layer: unit" up at the top, as outlined in:
> >
> >    http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/tests-with-grok-testing
> >
> > But I cannot figure out how to make it Unicode-friendly; I am getting
> > mismatch reports like:
> >
> >     - u'1¼ years'
> >     ?    ^^
> >     + u'1\xbc years'
> >     ?    ^^^^
> >
> > Is there something like an ":Encoding: utf-8" that I can put at the top
> > of my doctest to get things working?

Warning: Road bumps ahead.

If you encode your doctest in anything besides ASCII, then distutils
will break when registering with PyPI (in case that this doctest is
going to show up there).

As your Python interpreter already pointed you to it. You can also write
this in your code/expectation:

u'1\xbc years'

This allows you to represent unicode characters embedded in an ASCII
document. It's not as readable but works.

Side note: for me, doctests that didn't go to PyPI I experienced the
encoding to be latin1 by default (without me knowing how to change it).

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com