[Grok-dev] grokproject: paster support in trunk now

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Sat Dec 6 13:48:36 EST 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey Brandon,
>
> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>> Will the paster grokproject be released soon?  I'm talking about Grok at
>> a conference next week, and, since Grok provides no native user login
>> page or management (that I'm aware of), I really need the WSGI stack
>> available in order to show "how easy [or even possible!] it is" to add
>> user authentication and a login page on top of a Grok app.
>
> I think a release will happen sooner if it gets more eyeballs in review
> and if it gets documentation. You can try it out by checking it out and
> running buildout on it. Then you can try bin/grokproject
>
> Could you give it a spin and perhaps write a little document about how
> one uses it?
>
> This way you'll learn about it and can still talk about it next week,
> even if it isn't released yet. It's a rather major change in the way
> things work so this needs careful preparation in the way of
> documentation including our beginners tutorial.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Hi. I've been out of the loop for a while, but have a need to integrate
two grok apps as wsgi applications in a pre-existing paste wsgi pipeline
with multiple other wsgi apps.

I tried this yesterday but ran into a problem. I don't want to run
grokproject in my central paste directory. I would like to have a
separate directory for the grok app at the same level as the central
paste pipeline. Like so:

/srv
  |- oitws-web-server (central paste pipeline)
  |- tco (grok app 1)
  |- invoices (grok app 2)

where tco and invoices can serve as endpoints in the pipeline set in
oitws-web-server. I like this design because it keeps the grok endpoints
separate from the main paste pipeline - easier to maintain or remove the
grok apps, if necessary.

Is this a reasonable design? If not, why? If so, what is the best way to
do it? I found that, when I put the paste ini config section for tco
into oitws-web-server, the paste pipeline couldn't find the conf files
for zope. When I moved them over to oitws-web-server/etc, it found them
but then it couldn't access tco's parts. I assume that this is all due
to pre-set relative paths.

Thanks,

Derek