[Grok-dev] UPDATE recently created projects to 0.14.1

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Dec 15 19:26:41 EST 2008

Hey,

Great that people want to work on this!

+1 to a phone home feature that reports in a prominent place in the admin UI

+1 to Brandon's idea that the phone home feature should simply look for
a '0.14.1.security' file in our regular release info place (or something
like that) and just use that that security message. Message should be
plain text and not HTML interpolated with 'structure' to avoid insertion
attacks.

-1 to adding another question to grokproject. I think this should ask as
few questions as possible and I think we can do the right thing without
grokproject being involved.

+1 to a setting in the admin UI to turn this on or off

+1 to this setting being "off" by default

+1 to a feature in the admin UI that sents people off to some
configuration screen/wizard the first time they ever enter the admin UI.
Simply store a flag in the ZODB when people have set it. Possibly some
mechanism that also records version number or something like that, so
that future versions of the admin UI can send the user back in case of
important new security setting.

It's important that the admin UI will not hang or something like that
while phoning home when the computer is not online. It should therefore
fail quickly.

I think that's enough functionality to make sure that people who *want*
to be notified will be notified and also have a chance to learn about
the notification feature.