[Grok-dev] UPDATE recently created projects to 0.14.1

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Wed Dec 17 10:50:57 EST 2008

Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se> writes:

> Being the devils advocate if I am excused. This feels like a
> microsoftesque solution. Would be a lot nicer if could query my Grok
> installation from a commandline or dashboard like interface.

Well, that's a good point.  We don't want to be microsoftesque! :-)

To avoid having the application itself phone home, it could be that the
Grok admin UI could have a Javascript widget that, when loaded into the
user's web browser, does the version check.  That way the application
does not reveal anything to the outside world - neither its own version,
nor even its own existence.  The Javascript could also do things like
pull into a <div> some recent entries from the Grok Blog.

Again, I guess I'm just throwing out ideas from my Wordpress blog's
management page, which recently gained all of these cool panes that pull
in information from exterior sources into my browser, so that I know
whether my Wordpress is up to date, I can see recent Wordpress Blog
entries maybe alerting me to a recent feature or security problem, and I
can see where Google says recent links to my blog are coming from.