[Grok-dev] Re: [website] Let's do content!

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:16:55 EST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hey Noah,
>
> Noah Gift wrote:
>>    We are getting pretty close to having everything on the new site
>> equal
>>    to or greater than the content on the old site. The only big
>>    outsanding item is the main Tutorial, I'm going to take look at
>> having
>>    a grok2html script that pushes the content into PHC next.
>> Don't forget that the main Tutorial also doesn't mention how to
>> install Paste properly.  Believe it or not, this is could trip a
>> few people up, if they are not familiar with easy_install.
>
> This one is a bit surprising to me. As far as I'm aware, the
> tutorial gives all the steps to install Grok (use grokproject).
> Could you expand on what is missing?

Well, I just tried to create the error, but could not, which is good I
guess.  Earlier I got this traceback following the tutorial:

ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10491][J:0]> bin/grokproject Sample
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/grokproject", line 5, in <module>
     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2561, in
<module>
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 626, in
require
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 524, in
resolve
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: PasteScript>=1.3

I was using virtualenv and the setuptools installation inside of it.
It looks like from the traceback that the PasteScript couldn't be
found.  I was on Leopard which has an assortment of weird Python
issues, so it is possible it was a Leopard issue.  I am still a little
new to the buildout/virtualenv combo, so I might be missing something
subtle.  If someone else tests this on Leopard than it could be ruled
out.

> If indeed Paste needs to be installed, this could indeed trip up a
> lot of people, but I'm still confused as to why you think this is
> not done by grokproject.

This is just a guess from the traceback I got.  I then manually
installed PasteScript and I believe Paster, and I was then able to
create a project.