[Grok-dev] Grok site: changing "Learn" to "Documentation" in the main navigation

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Wed Jan 2 18:06:06 EST 2008

Luciano Ramalho-2 wrote:

> I like the word Learn as an invitation for action in the iconic menu
> on the front page, but in the site "Grok Navigator" portlet I believe
> "Documentation" would be more appropriate, as that is one of the first
> words we look for when studying a new system.

Documentation is likely to be more easily understood I think be people
looking for ... documentation. Although I do like the symmetry of having
verbs for the four main site sections. If we changed all of the main
sections in the navigator to nouns we would have:

 * Evaluate -> About

 * Learn -> Documentation

 * Develop -> Project (?)

 * Participate -> Community

I think we have clear organization for what goes into the About/Evaluate,
Documentation/Learn and Community/Participate sections. The Develop section
is a bit fuzzy, we currrently have on the home page:

  "Develop great applications with Grok. API docs, patterns, forums, mailing
lists."

'API docs and patterns' are in the documentation section, 'forums and
mailing lists' are in the community section. What we don't have is a Project
space for Grok where we put things such as Release notes and Upgrade
instructions. Develop is ambigous in that it can mean either "develop your
own applications" or "develop Grok itself".

We have the option to use Plone Software Center to structure Grok project
release content, but I'm not sure how well this will fit with the existing
Grok release and development process - plus it would mean doing more CSS and
other integration work, so for at least the short term I'd like to focus
effort on the Documentation section.