[Grok-dev] Re: My feedback on the new Grok website

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jan 3 14:40:10 EST 2008

Hey Peter,

Thanks for doing this! I'm going to respond to some of your feedback
where I think I have things to contribute:

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
[snip]
> In no particular order...
>
>  - The chosen colours are quite unclear and hard to read. Especially...
>
>    - the yellowish text on yellow background and the grey text in
>      the navigation
>
>    - The header "Grok Navigator" in the nav
>
>    - The "Log in" and "Register" link in the upper right hand corner

Perhaps I'm getting use to them, but they seem easier to read than
before. Still more tweaking couldn't harm them, more contrast, more
contrast! :)

>  - I click "Evaluate" and the page is called /about and when I arrive
>    it says "Who is Grok?". WTF? Shouldn't the page be called /evaluate
>    and the headline be "Evaluate" after the click

I agree completely and have expanded on this on another post. We should
drop the
idea that we can reuse identical pages for the verbs as well as for the
nouns. Subpages can point to the same spot, but we really need top-level
pages for the verbs.

>  - Why would I want to send or print a page when the print link just
>    kicks off the javascript this.print()??
>    Who in the developer community ever uses the "Send this page"?

I don't care much whether they stay or go. I guess that speaks for 'go',
as they indeed don't seem extremely useful.

[snip]
>  - Having the news in the navigator (after "Current release") clutters
>    the design and makes it feel like the navigator is something
>    complicated.

I agree. Can we put some news on the homepage instead and then have an
actual news page we can navigate to?

>  - The old summary ("Grok is a web application framework for Python
> developers....") than the new one ("Grok is a web application framework
> based on Zope 3") because the old one felt more plain and simple.
>  - Instead of "Welcome to the Grok framework!" I would suggest "Grok - a
> powerful web framework for cavemen"

I agree we need plain and simple; see also my other post. Once I
actually figure out how I can edit the web site I'll help fix this.

> Last word... These are just some quick thought and, most importantly,
> first impressions. My aim with the feedback is making the Grok website
> more welcoming to people who can be convinced to dig deeper being
> completely new to it or having already tried Grok.

I think they have been very useful already!