[Grok-dev] Re: Grok 1.0 and beyond

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Fri Jan 4 16:40:48 EST 2008

Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> writes:

> Note that if we make 'easy_install' a first-class citizen in the
> Grok world (see Noah's problems earlier this week), then we don't
> need or want to jam such helpers in the core: they are a
> 'bin/easy_install <helper>' awa (in the virtualenv case).

I think they're already one step away - adding an egg's name to the
"install_requires" list in my setup.py makes buildout automatically
install the package the next time I buildout my project.  Of course,
I'm not at all against "grokproject" creating a "virtualenv" some day;
I'm just pointing out that we can go ahead and treat add-on modules as
truly lightweight additions to a project today, without having to wait
for the future.

And since both the current buildout mechanism and a future virtualenv
solution will presumably use my setup.py's "install_requires" to
determine what needs to be installed, I'd be able to transition to
such a new solution without rewriting my projects. :-)