[Grok-dev] Re: [grok-br] Grok 1.0 and beyond

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 4 20:27:03 EST 2008

Hey,

On Jan 5, 2008 2:22 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > >- *Good* form generation: zope.formlib's is too primitive comparing to
> > >Django admin interface or Archetypes, for example;
> >
> > Details? How are the Django admin interface or Archetypes better?
> >
> > Form generation always has limitations, but where are the limitations
> > that make you think zope.formlib is not good?
>
> As mentioned before a big issue is the lack of fields and decent
> widgets. People think in terms of email addresses, postal codes, URLs,
> etc. I'm not aware of a formlib field or widget for any of those.

Good point. I'm sure some of those are floating around in some z3c
package somewhere. It's also not too hard to create some more of them.
It'd be a good task to create them/aggregate them and make them
installable as a megrok.* package. Should be easy enough to get
started on for a volunteer, and I'd be happy to help people to work
out the basics. I can also extract a tinymce-based widget from a
codebase I'm working on (JW Kolman actually wrote it).

More fundamentally there's also z3c.form, an alternative form system.
It doesn't solve the widget situation though.