[Grok-dev] Re: Web site ready for relaunch?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jan 21 08:47:57 EST 2008

Hey,

We're getting there. Great work!

Now for my show stopper:

I think the 'download' link isn't working right now. If you click that
you get the release info on the latest release. This actually doesn't
explain to beginners how to download and install Grok! We need a page
that explains how to install Grok. I think we can just recycle the text
from the start of the tutorial. I think it's fine to duplicate it for
now; we can always merge them back together at some later point.

> Top Level Pages
> content for this besides links to the Documentation and Community
> sections. There is still lots of room for improvement in these areas.

I think merging them is good enough for now.

> People want:
>
> * Marketing oriented text and images for:
> Evaluate/Download/Learn/Develop/Participate
>
> * Improvements to the Navigation area
>
> After we re-launch we can bring up a new preview site where we can
> sandbox improvements to this stuff.

Sounds like a good plan.

> However we also need people willing
> to contribute art assets, layouts and text. If some design oriented
> folks are able to come up with image mock-ups for these pages and we can
> reach a general consensus of agreement to these areas I'll be willing to
> do the HTML/CSS/Plone grunt work to make it happen.
>
> Also for the most part I think we should focus more on adding useful
> content at the moment, e.g. better Grok project information (core
> development policies, Release notes, upgrade notes), better text
> explaining the unique benefits of Grok, etc. The content that people are
> willing to write and maintain should then inform the layout of our
> marketing oriented pages rather than vice-versa.

A good point, and I agree.

I think we should just look at resolving the download issue. I also
noticed some extra newlines in various code samples in the main
tutorial, like here:

$ python
Python 2.4.4

(The >>> should follow directly, of course).

I wonder what's going on here?