[Grok-dev] Re: Martian as an external in the Grok trunk

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 06:35:38 EST 2008

> If you're going to rely on a development version of grok, you need to
> pay extra attention. I think that this is not too much to ask? Perhaps
> you didn't know about the [versions] way to get the new version of
> Martian and this is what blocked you?

Maybe I spoke to hasty and did not explain myself clearly:

Yes, I agree, when you rely on a development version of a Grok, you
should pay extra attention. True. It is just somewhat unfortunate for me
now that I now also have to checkout martian and add that to the develop
eggs section of all of my projects buildout.cfg's.

It is that (having to checkout martian now too and add that as a develop
egg) that tripped me up - I know about the [versions] way of getting
specific versions. I realize you made note of the 0.9.3 requirement in
the CHANGES.txt, but I can imagine a brief heads-up to the list would've
helped me preparing for this.

But alas, that's the risk I took by depending on features of Grok that
0.11.* does not yet have - it does show I should really find time to
help getting a 1.0... Sorry for sounding grumpy.

However, I still think having martian as an external in Grok could
potentially hide the requirement for having martian of a certain version
*released* when there's a Grok *release* being made.

regards,
jw