[Grok-dev] Re: The shared hosting story, in print anyone?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jan 26 16:55:01 EST 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:
[snip]
> It isn't that I'm *hostile* to the idea of running Zope-based apps on
> such boxes:  I'm just skeptical.

I agree that this one is tough and it's not likely we can fix this in
the Zope world in the foreseeable future. At this point I don't think we
can do better than Rails in the Zope world and we shouldn't give wrong
impressions.

That said, I think even investigating making this better is useful: it
may make our life better in some other ways even if we don't reach the
goal of making shared hosting easier.

I did follow the original Ruby on Rails discussion. I think Ian
Bicking's observations are useful:

http://blog.ianbicking.org/2008/01/12/what-php-deployment-gets-right/

Perhaps there is some potential in having mod_wsgi running isolated ZEO
client processes and having it kill them off painlessly in case of
problems. It'll still be less manageable than PHP, where there is no
long-running application server process to worry about at all, and thus,
as far as I understand, not much need to kill anything off in case of
problems.