[Grok-dev] Re: paster vs grokproject

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Jan 29 11:46:33 EST 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2008, at 16:41 , Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> So you won't have to do
>>>
>>> 1. paster create -t grokapp
>>> 2. cd MyProj
>>> 3. edit buildout.cfg to match current Grok release
>>> 4. python bootstrap.py
>>> 5. bin/buildout
>>>
>>> grokproject basically automates that in one go. Use the source, Luke,
>>> it's pretty simple and should be documented.
>>
>> the plone_hosting paster template does all of that actually. You can
>> define code that runs both before and after the templates are generated,
>> and I used that to run bootstrap and buildout automatically.
>
> Neat. I shall take a look at that. I certainly wouldn't mind bringing
> grokproject/zopeproject closer to the paster infrastructure, especially
> since it's become the defacto standard to do scaffolding in the Python
> world.

To save you a bit of time:
http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/ZopeSkel/trunk/zopeskel/hosting.py
is the relevant file. You can determine the current grok release in de pre
method and set that in a variable you can use from a template for
buildout.cfg (I really should do the same thing for the current plone
version). Afterwards the post method is called, which in this case runs
bootstrap and buildout and shows a summary of the created instance.

Wichert.