[Grok-dev] grokproject: version pinning in setup.py

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jul 1 07:43:42 EDT 2008

As stated in https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/242370, grokproject now
pins the versions of its dependencies (PasteScript etc.) in its
setup.py. Also, apparently a generated sandbox also pins the grok
version in setup.py.

Why was this done? The issue report says that it should be done, but
not why. I also don't recall ever discussing this, though I haven't
been following every thread on the list. Was there ever a problem with
installing grokproject due to the lack of pinned versions? The issue
doesn't seem to include an actual bug report and I don't recall a
similar incident either. Quite frankly, I fail to see the benefit of
pinning PasteScript etc. We already used to specify a lower bound
(e.g. >=1.6) where necessary, which ensured people got *at least* a
working version. Pinning the version with == is likely to go wrong
anyway, e.g. when you install grokproject and it wants
PasteScript==1.6 and then some other package wants 1.7, setuptools
will simply install the 1.7 version and grokproject's pinning will be
broken, without any error message telling you (I just verified this).

I'd also like to know why it's necessary now to pin the grok version
in a generated sandbox's setup.py.
Have we had problems that are solved by pinning it in setup.py *in
addition* to buildout.cfg? Again, the checkin message just says
"Pinned the required grok version in the generated setup.py.", but it
doesn't say why.

(Btw, while I'm sure I'm guilty of this as well, I'd like to remind
everybody that checkin messages shouldn't say *what* was done but
*why*. If somebody wants to know what was done, they can always 0look
at the diff. ;))