[Grok-dev] first release of megrok.trails made

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Thu Jul 17 12:15:43 EDT 2008

Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>>    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/megrok.trails
>
> How grok-specific is megrok.trails?  Is it possible to use it in
> grokless zope3 applications?

I would like it to be usable in plain Zope 3, but I have not yet learned
all of the responsibilities that are necessary for a package to work in
plain Zope 3.  Since, looking at the code (which I wrote many months
ago), I see statements like "provideAdapter(...)" in __init__ methods,
it is quite likely that I have not even written where it works that well
with Grok. :-)  Plus, one of its classes inherits from grok.Model and
another from grok.Traverser, which made it easy to write, but gives it
probably more dependency than it needs on Grok itself.

I probably need to get those provideAdapter() calls and make them part
of an honest-to-goodness martian-based grokker, and maybe also write
some ZCML, but the picture has not yet come together for me on how that
would all look.

Hence my going ahead and releasing, after several wasted months of not
making further progress on it; I think I'm going to need gentle pushes
in the Right Direction before I see how to clean things up and make
Trails a nice Zope citizen.