[Grok-dev] new grok app: GUM 0.7

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Fri Jul 18 21:09:00 EDT 2008

I'm pleased to announce the first public release of GUM: Group, User Manger.
GUM is a Grok application for managing user accounts and group memberships
stored in LDAP:

http://www.bcgsc.ca/platform/bioinfo/software/gum

Unlike many existing tools for managing LDAP, GUM doesn't attempt to provide
generic browsing and editing facilities, but instead is intended to be a
more limited, simpler tool so that non-technical people such as project
managers, etc. can grant/remove membership to groups stored in LDAP.

I am using within my organization, and it's working quite well - but be
warned that GUM was initially written from Grok 0.9 and was my first foray
into the world of Zope 3/Grok. I've recently cleaned up the code somewhat,
and ported it from Gork 0.9 to Grok 0.12, but there are still many wonky or
hard-coded sections in the code base where you one would say, "What the heck
was he thinking here?!?" (esp. wrt performance - which is currently
"terrible", "totally unscalable" and "just about the worst"). The LDAP
schema to which the application currently requires is also pretty limited.
However, if you are thinking about rolling your own LDAP account management
tool, and you think GUM is "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp
stick", then patches and major refactorings are welcome.

I have also developed a much smaller internal project which is deployed
alongside GUM that contains event subscribers that respond to group
modification events so that relevant actions can be taken, e.g. JIRA account
creation for an employee group or SVN access for a dev group. I've not
released the source for this (it's highly specific to my organizations
infrastructure) but did want to note that using Zope 3 events + Grok +
buildout means that it's very easy to keep the highly specific/fragile code
seperate from the core application code, which is very good :)