[Grok-dev] starting to use grokdoc to publish documentation

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jun 2 10:04:40 EDT 2008

Hi there,

The trunk contains our grokdoc infrastructure to produce documentation
using Sphinx. I think we should start using it. We have a number of
documents (tutorial, developer's notes) that should be published this
way. We can update the plone site to link to the new URL location.

I think this requires one or more persons who can:

* have access to the server

* open a /documentation URL space (or something like that), where we can
publish the sphinx documentation. This needs to be separated by release,
with also a 'current' section, similar to the way python.org does it for
the python docs.

* write a script/instructions on how to get a new version of the
documentation uploaded.

* modify the Plone bits to point to this documentation.

* we may need a way to expand documentation between releases; I'm not
sure whether python.org does that, but we'll want to in the beginning.
So this needs to be documented.

We will then have an easier time maintaining our longer documentation
and still knowing it can easily be published.

In the end, what I want to be able to do is write more developer's
notes, run a few easy commands (or ask someone else to) and see the site
updated with my changes. We also need a procedure like that for the
release manager.

Use python.org as a model wherever possible (or I guess, the sphinx site
itself?)

Volunteers?