[Grok-dev] Re: Performance of OrderedContainer

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu Jun 19 16:21:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:15:11 -0700, Gary Poster <gary at zope.com> wrote:

>> Anyway, the only reason plone.folder is under GPL at the moment is
>> because nobody has asked us to do anything about it yet. If you're
>> interested in using the plone.folder code, I'm sure we can make it
>> happen. We need a first case to push a general policy. It has been
>> discussed extensively in both the community and on the board, and
>> everybody agrees that certain components should be BSD or LGPL instead.
>
> This particular example is relatively small, but that sounds like a
> great general step to me.

The smaller the code piece, the easier it is to understand what will be
done — which is probably a bonus since the important thing here is to
establish a policy and process around this, not the actual code involved.
I think this would be a perfect candidate for this (although I'll let
Martin Aspeli comment on this too, since he wrote plone.folder — and has
also been pushing for relicensing the reusable parts of Plone).

> It seems like it would be a fantastic message from Grok, Plone, and the
> Zope community to have some Plone code reuse.  This may or may not be
> the right instance for it.  Certainly if I need an API like this, and I
> might, I'll review this again and consider waving my arms a bit at you
> guys and seeing if we can start sharing.  That would be extremely cool.

Yup, all of our core developers are enthusiastic about this, the
grassroots support is there, and we just have to make it happen.

>> PS: it's unlikely that the license boundaries will be on plone.* vs.
>> plone.app.*. As a general rule of thumb, I think it's close to correct,
>> but the naming isn't about licensing. We might have components that
>> have a good reason for being GPL that will live in the plone.*
>> namespace.
>
> Both the rule of thumb and the possibility of exceptions to it make a
> lot of sense.

Glad we agree. Now, let's change Zope to use BSD instead of ZPL, and
you'll make a lot of companies, lawyers and compliance people happy. ;)

PS: I have never seen the rationale as to why the ZPL is needed at all
except for "everyone had their own license in those days". I'd be
interested if anyone can enlighten me as to what ZPL offers beyond the BSD
license!

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net