[Grok-dev] Re: Simpler Buildout configuration?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jun 23 10:34:03 EDT 2008

Andreas Jung wrote:
> I am currently trying to figure out how a buildout.cfg using multiple
> Grok apps should look like.

Do you want just one Zope instance with multiple applications or a Zope
instance for each application?

> The buildout.cfg generated by grokproject
> contains lot of (ugly) ZCML stuff (site.zcml) and it is not straight
> forward where and how add another application.

Yes. zc.zope3recipes sucks :(

I personally strongly dislike ZCML within my buildout.cfg. So what I
typically do is put site.zcml *inside* my application package. Then the
site.zcml option of zc.zope3recipes in buildout.cfg is just:

   site.zcml = <include package="foobar" file="site.zcml" />

This, of course, only makes sense if that particular package is meant to
drive the whole instance (which is always the case for my apps).

> Is there some recipes available or in the making in order to simply
> the configuration? When we look at the Plone world then you can
> create a (nice) skeleton using Zopeskel. Adding some more products
> just requires an additional line to the eggs option (and possibly the
> configuration of the zcml slug).

Same here, really. If you want multiple applications to live within the
same instance, just add more eggs to the 'eggs' line of your [app]
section and add another include to your site.zcml (which corresponds to
creating another slug, but without all the indirection).