[Grok-dev] Re: View URLs?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jun 25 10:03:20 EDT 2008

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> 2008/6/25 Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se>:
[snip]
>> And if you want to get the url to your application root from another
>> object's view you can do
>>
>>   view.url(grok.getSite())
>>
> How is this different from view.application_url()?

Good question.

All applications are sites. Not all sites are applications. A site is
something in Zope 3 that can hold local components; typically local
utilities. So if you say getSite(), it'll give you the site closest to
you in traversal space. view.application_url however digs up the actual
application object.

This is why we need a grok.getApplication() which actually gets the
site. I proposed an implementation strategy a while ago, and someone
should just write the code, some functional tests (which should include
an actual site object as well to make sure the application is found, not
the site). With a bit more documentation we can then have less of this
discussion.