[Grok-dev] Re: Grok sprint for PyCon 2008: grokcore

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Mar 15 12:38:48 EDT 2008

On 15 Mar 2008, at 15:25 , Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> You also want to remove all the grokkers that don't have anything
>> to do with adapters, utilities or subscribers. Essentially, you're
>> only going to be left with
>> * the Adapter, MultiAdapter, GlobalUtility base classes from
>> components.py
>> * the GlobalUtilityDirective, GlobalUtilityInfo from directive.py
>> * the AdapterGrokker, MultiAdapterGrokker, GlobalUtilityGrokker,
>> SubscriberGrokker, AdapterDecoratorGrokker from meta.py
>> * decorators.py
>> * and the relevant tests obviously.
>
> Naive question : why are views and viewlets not part of this list ?

Because they pull in much much more than just the basic component
types adapters, subscribers and utilities. For instance, views need
security (done differently in Zope 2 and Zope 3), they need to know
about skins and the way the view grokker is currently set up in Grok,
they also pull in zope.formlib. Not to mention that they have this
pluggable template stuff that's cool but also massive (oh and yes,
they also depend on zope.pagetemplate, obviously).

Ideally, grokcore.component is very lean and just needs zope.interface
and zope.component. When you look at my experimental branch from a
while back [1], this is exactly what ended up happening. No fat
requirements, no browser-awareness, no ftests (!), etc...

[1] http://svn.zope.org/grok/branches/philikon-grokcore.component/grokcore.component/setup.py?rev=79258&view=auto