[Grok-dev] Grok Admin App behind a http server.

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Mar 22 11:07:22 EDT 2008

Hi Fernando,

sorry for the misspelling of your name in my last post.

Fernando Correa Neto wrote:

> We are currently building packages for an upcoming hosting business
> and grok will be listed. So our team needs to figure out how to make
> it work with the possible choices we are going to offer. (Apache and
> Nginx for now).

Nice! Good luck for your service!

> Mmm...got it now. I got confused because when you try to access for
> instance http://localhost:8080/ it redirects you to /applications so I
> thought there were some kind of magic going on.

Just a simple redirect :-)

> >  It has been discussed here to factor the admin app out of the grok core
> >  and I already did an implementation of a 'standalone' admin-UI some
> >  months ago. Unfortunately this was a bit overlooked among all the other
> >  topics here. Beside this I am a bit scared about it, because a
> >  standalone admin app would definitely break many existing installations.
>
> I see there is a constant effort to make grok more componentized so it
> can share its componets. Although the admin UI plays an important role
> in grok because there is no other way to manage the grok apps, I don't
> know where it fits. So if this is not part of the core, will it become
> part of something like grokcore.web or something like that?

Yes, "something like that" most probably.

> >  If you think the admin UI should come in an external package and as a
> >  'real' grok application (currently it is merely a bunch of views), then
> >  we should do that before the 1.0 release.
>
> That would solve *my* problem but I don't know how it would impact in
> someone else's life.

Me neither. But that's what this list is for, I think.

> Currently we are packaging an empty grok app just to say right after
> the sign-up process: "Look. Here is your pre-configured grok
> environment." . So having it to work perfectly is something indeed
> desirable.

I understand your concerns. The admin-app will work. The only difference
will be, that it has to be installed somewhen by someone (or somewhat)
in a new ZODB. It might be sufficient to create an admin app when
running ``grokproject``, because this is certainly the way, Grok
starters use normally. Hope, I can find an easy solution for this. You
could then even install several admin-apps in one instance.

> Just wondering how much effort would be taken to have the grok admin
> app self-contained w/o breaking up other apps.

Other apps are not that problematic from my point of view, because
nearly no app uses code from the admin app. But the user experience must
not suffer from any changes. That's important. Especially first-timers
must have an easy to find starting point. I think they want an admin app
appearing out-of-the-box.

> >   proxy_pass http://localhost:8080/++vh++http:www.mydomain.com:80/++/;
>
> I didn't test it yet because is quite late here :). Will report as
> soon as I test it.
>

> >  What not works then is the docgrok part of the admin UI, which indeed
> >  makes use of a custom traverser. This thing is buggy in that respect.
> >  I'll try to fix that.
>
> Me too. Tomorrow morning I will test this setup and try to provide
> some feedback on docgrok.

It turned out, that this was a bug in my local nginx configuration. A
false alert. Also docgrok works here now with the above proxy_pass :-)

Thank you for bringing this topic back into discussion!

Best regards,

--
Uli