[Grok-dev] Re: Salt & z3c.autoinclude

Ethan Jucovy ejucovy at openplans.org
Mon Mar 24 23:39:13 EDT 2008

Hey,

I've incorporated many of the recommendations in this thread into the
adding-salt branch of z3c.autoinclude and cleaned up the code a bit.  Three
specific points follow, in increasing level of code detail.  :)

First, in response to Martin's understandable confusion about autoinclusion
(z3c.autoinclude's original functionality: dependency loading) vs plugin
inclusion, I've extracted a common base into z3c.autoinclude.utils and tried
to distinguish more clearly between the two functions in the README.  I also
added a brief introductory section to the README which lays out how to use
the package from a user's perspective (ZCML directives, entry points)
without going into any of the details of the code or tests.  I hope this
makes it all a bit more clear.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>
wrote:
> We need to distinguish auto-inclusion from loading up plugins.
> Auto-inclusion means automatically also loading the ZCML of that
> dependency.

I think this terminology is contributing to the confusion.  From a new
user's perspective I think "auto-inclusion" would seem to describe both
functions of the package: whether it is loading ZCML from dependencies or
plugins, the package is performing the same task of automatically including
packages without any explicit per-package <include> statement.  Perhaps we
should disambiguate these and refer explicitly to "including dependencies"
and "including plugins" throughout?  (Rename include.py to dependency.py,
IncludeFinder to DependencyFinder, etc.)  Martijn, I'm sure you have a
strong opinion here -- how would you feel about renaming the
``<autoinclude>`` directive to something less ambiguous like
``<includeDependencies>``, symmetric to ``<includePlugins>``?  (I'd love to
think of a shorter word than "dependency" for the directive but I'm drawing
a blank...)

Second, I've changed the entry point syntax per Martijn's preference; it now
looks like (using Products.CMFPlone as the example platform to plug in to)
::

"""
[z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
target = Products.CMFPlone
"""

There is an implicit, enforced assumption that the right-hand side of the
entry point (that is, the platform) is a valid dotted module name.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> So long as we don't design the syntax or framework so that it's
> impossible to cleanly support multiple targets in the future, I'm happy
> with that stance.

I'm pretty sure that this syntax will work quite well for multiple targets
(platforms) actually so you needn't worry.  The left-hand side of the entry
point ("target") is completely extraneous so multiple entry points can be
defined for a single plugin package already; I haven't written any tests to
prove this but I think that something like the following would Just Work
(assuming the <includePlugins> directives were specified somewhere, and
assuming the package magically worked on two frameworks with the same
configuration) ::

"""
[z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
target = Products.CMFPlone
smash = grok
"""

More importantly though, the fact that the left-hand side is ignored
entirely leaves plenty of room for a future syntax extension there which
specifies a ZCML starting point, which would make the above example rather
more useful.  But it seems we're all in agreement to leave this alone for
now and wait for a real-world use case to (potentially) come up.

Anyway, that's about it for the update.  If anyone's really interested in
the inner workings, I refactored out a common base class
``DistributionManager`` which the ``IncludeFinder`` and ``PluginFinder``
both extend.  There's some highly questionable makeshift adaptation of
distribution objects and strings going on there which I'm half-tempted to
formalize with zope.component and zope.interface but that may be overkill,
I'm not really sure.  As always, comments and criticism much appreciated.

Regards,
egj