[Grok-dev] Triggering recurring events and executing tasks in the "background"

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Wed Mar 26 11:01:16 EDT 2008

Thanks!

Mvh Sebastian

26 mar 2008 kl. 15.43 skrev Tim Terlegård:

> On Mar 26, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> I have two questions in the "best practice" category. Since they
>> are related I am posting one message:
>>
>> 1 If I want to create a queue utility which executes tasks from a
>> task list in the background, how would I accomplish this?
>>
>> 2 If I want to have actions performed at preset times or at
>> intervals, how would I accomplish this?
>

> There are atleast two options:
>
> 1) lovely.remotetask
>    http://svn.zope.org/lovely.remotetask/trunk/src/lovely/remotetask/README.txt?rev=83297&view=markup
>
> 2) zope's internal clock server, there's an example
>   http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/doc/CHANGES.txt?rev=81697&view=markup

[excerpt from CHANGES.txt]

  - Added a "clock server" servertype which allows users to
         configure methods that should be called periodically as if
         they were being called by a remote user agent on one of Zope's
         HTTP ports.  This is meant to replace wget+cron for some class
         of periodic callables.

         To use, create a "clock-server" directive section anywhere
         in your zope.conf file, like so:

          <clock-server>
             method /do_stuff
             period 60