[Grok-dev] grokproject, grok tarball and the i18n part

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue May 6 06:35:43 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Maurits van Rees wrote:

[snip]
> For most parts it is just a few eggs that are being installed this
> way.  But the i18n part is a different story.  After the recipes/parts
> are initialized, already 78 eggs of about 40 MB in total have been
> installed.  By far the most of these are because of dependencies of
> lovely.recipe:i18n.  For reference, when the eggbasket recipe is done,
> 106 eggs of about 70 MB total are installed.
>
> As much as I like having an i18n part by default in the generated
> grokprojects, I do *not* like the fact that it installs so many eggs
> even before its install method is called.  Is it an option to remove
> this part?  Is there a recipe that does the same but with less
> dependencies?

-1 for removing that i18n part.

Removing features that were available in several releases and without a
replacement, sounds bad to me.

+1 for using another recipe.

Looking into lovely.recipe I see, that this package offers much more
than only i18n-support. So the right way from my point of view would be
to use (if it exists) or write a recipe that does the i18n-stuff only.
This might decrease the number of dependencies remarkable.

If we remove i18n-support (and the related dependencies) completely some
dependencies will return during GSOC, where a `localesdir` directive
grokker should go into Grok and require the needed i18n packages again.

Kind regards,

--
Uli