[Grok-dev] Re: Python UK meeting and Django

Jan Ulrich Hasecke juhasecke at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 08:46:59 EDT 2008

Am 07.05.2008 um 12:46 schrieb Martijn Faassen:

> I'm having trouble understanding what the words "user" and
> "developer" mean in this context.

I hope that we start to better address these two groups: Developers
of Zope and Users using Zope to build whatever (be it with a deadline
or not). Or at least better address the last group.

My impression of the Zope Community is, that it tends to attract
merely "developers". If you are a simple "user" you are completely
lost, even if you read Philipps book. You don't get the impression.
Oh, I'll get it sooner or later. You breathlessly look at it and get
desperate.

And then there are people, which bore into Zope and start to improve
it. Sooner or later you are a developer of Zope or you abandoned it
at all.

Reading the Grok tutorial you get another impression. It looks like
you can cope with Grok, but still the tutorial and the website does
not give the impression of Grok being a tool which solves most of my
ususal problems.

The problem with documentation and marketing is that it does not pay
for oneself. If you develop a new library you might use it for your
customer, who will pay you. If you do documentation or marketing
noone will ever pay you. But the amount of work is huge. I would
plead for a fund for marketing and documentation.

Grüße
juh

--
DZUG e.V. (Deutschsprachige Zope User Group)
http://www.zope.de