[Grok-dev] needed for 0.13: Windows eggs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri May 16 12:04:06 EDT 2008

Hi there,

With Grok 0.13, we've upgraded to the versions list from KGS. On
Windows, we have a policy that binary eggs should exist for all packages
that have C code in them, as we can't expect a compiler to be present on
Windows.

We need a volunteer to:

* go through our Grok 0.13 egg list (in trunk), make a list of
needed-binary eggs. Perhaps the easiest way is to go through 0.12's egg
list and check which windows eggs are on PyPI now, or by doing an
install of that on Windows and look at your eggs directory for binary
windows eggs that it will have got.

* then go through PyPI to see whether binary versions of the eggs
already exist for our 0.13 versions.

* make a list for those eggs that are missing. I or the volunteer can
then send this list to Jim Fulton, requesting him to bake these eggs on
Windows. Note we can only do this once we have a clear, complete list,
with versions specified. Jim doesn't want to do all the research above
himself.

* Jim will then hopefully compile-bake the eggs on Windows and upload
them to PyPI.

* do a buildout on Windows for the Grok trunk, and see whether the tests
run, Grok starts, etc.

Note that it's fine if this is not just one volunteer but multiple. We
can't release Grok 0.13 before we have the Windows support verified.