[Grok-dev] Re: grokproject and svn

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun May 18 08:45:34 EDT 2008

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> when using
>
>   --svn-repository=REPOS
>
> The egg-info directory is added to version control
>   src/yourproject.egg-info/
> however in the version control docs
>  http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/placing-your-grok-project-under-version-control
>

> it says that this info shouldn't be version controlled
>
> a) What is correct?

Opinions differ. Some think it should be checked in. The use case for
this that I've heard is that the egg-info may contain stuff that's not
auto-generated from setup.py, such as locale data. But since we put all
of our package data into the packages themselves and thus our egg-info
completely generated from setup.py, I see little point in checking it in.

Fact is, it's PasteScript checking things in for us, so unless we hack
PasteScript, we'll have to live with this for now.

> b) I think --svn-repository=REPOS should be promoted in the tutorial. It
> signals good practice.

Maybe.