[Grok-dev] finishing reference docs

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Tue Sep 16 03:01:42 EDT 2008

> Could anyone outline the missing and incomplete parts at
> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/reference
> to get the docs more complete for the next release?

Right, I almost got those docs good enough for release and then ... I
took a week long trip to Bermuda and the cruise ship I was on went
through the Bermuda Triangle and disappeared for several months.

(ok, no, I'm just too easily distracted ...)

There only a few small things to do, such as tidy up the reference
index page a bit (remove that model.rst reference for example, and
that link to the PDF - or make PDF generation work, I never got that
done). There might be one or two XXX sections, and there are still
quite a few places where the docs are empty or quite thin, but "thin"
docs are better than no docs, so I wouldn't let that hold up
completion of the work.

There are larger, more ambitious things to tackle post 0.14, such as
extending Sphinx to have an Interface keyword so that the distinction
can be better made between interfaces and classes in the docs. It
might also make sense to push some of the doc changes back into Grok,
and then have Sphinx extract those docs from the code artifacts in the
grok source. I think it'd also be nice to aim for a larger, richer set
of reference docs over time - Sphinx is quite at making menus and such
so that it's easy enough to find the relevant section you are looking
for, but it's annoying when the docs in that section are quite thin
and really meaty explanation and example would be much more welcome.

Not having done any web work for a few months, I did start back up on
some Grok work this week - I have been finding the reference docs
quite useful as a refresher!

(and hopefully I'll get off my lazy ol' ass and start doing some more
doc contributions in the not too distant future - but of course please
don't let that deter you from working on the docs!)